[time-nuts] Why not TAI?

cook michael michael.cook at sfr.fr
Wed Aug 10 07:09:33 UTC 2011

Le 10/08/2011 07:41, Attila Kinali a écrit :
> On Fri, 15 Jul 2011 05:57:45 +0000
> "Poul-Henning Kamp"<phk at phk.freebsd.dk>  wrote:
>
>> Everybody but the time-lords have always been told to stay away from
>> TAI in the strongest possible terms by said time-lords, who again and
>> told the world to use UTC.
> May i ask what the reason was to stay away from TAI?
> I mean, it is obvious (for me) that for any application that needs
> a steady, continious and monotone clock that TAI is one of the best
> alternatives among all those time standards.
>
> 			Attila Kinali
There are all manner of time scales , and each has its use so there is
no need to keep away from any. Just pick that which suits your
application. I think that Poul-Henning was just indicating in a humorous
manner his dislike of the unilateral imposition of a non uniform scale,
UTC,  as the transmitted time standard. So if you want a uniform scale,
take TAI. You can get TAI from GPS time by adding 19secs. A number of
GPS receivers can be configured to report GPS time rather than UTC.