[time-nuts] Thunderbolt hardware revisions

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Aug 11 16:20:18 UTC 2011

Hi

Roughly mid 2004 is a reasonable point for the divide between the two
thermometer chips. They apparently did not have a single magic date after
which all boards got the newer / bad resolution chips. Replacement chips are
available cheap, so switching the part out is an option.

You also find boards that have been upgraded in terms of firmware and
re-date coded. They may have been built in 2001, but the date code shows as
2004. Unless you can tear the beast open there is no perfect way to pick.

Best bet - buy several and then sort them out.

Bob