[time-nuts] Racal 4920 OCXO

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Tue Aug 23 20:09:32 UTC 2011

Hi All,

This is quite a common oscillator, with variants used in a number of Racal
receivers or offered as high stability options for Racal counters etc, but
although the specs are widely available I've not found anything from Racal
that  might be considered to be a user manual.

The manual for the Racal RA1794 receiver offers the connection information
shown below.....

Table 3 : 9420 Pin Connections

1 5 MHz Output relative to pin 7
2 Internally stabilized +5.~ V  varactor
diode control voltage
3 +7.5 V stabilized monitor output
4 +12  V supply
5 Internally stablized +2.8 Voutput
6 Varactor diode  connection
7 0 V (also connected to can).

Any 4920 I've seen does match the basic RF output and DC supply connections
 shown above, and the pin 6 information implies an option for electronic
frequency control, but  I've also seen comments online to suggest most  units
don't actually have electronic frequency control.
I certainly can't recall any Racal kit using one of these with an EFC
option but if it is available I was just thinking the 4920 could make a  nice
oscillator for a 5MHz GPSDO.

Any comments would be appreciated, and a manual and/or schematic would be
one heck of a bonus:-)

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR