[time-nuts] Racal 9420 OCXO

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Wed Aug 24 15:03:12 UTC 2011

danrae at verizon.net writes:

I don't  think Racal released circuit diagrams of any of their ovens.  I
have  traced out the circuit of the rapid warm up oven found in a lot of
receivers, the 9442-12 and have fixed those, there is a ceramic cap that
frequently goes wonky.  The two 9420s I have fixed were just broken
wires; they seem to have used PVC insulated wire which degrades...  I
haven't done the homework on those yet.

The 9420s I have do have an  EFC input as well as a stabilised Voltage
out to feed it, and in the  receivers I have that use it [RA1795] the
fine setting is done from that,  coarse setting from the top adjustment.
-------------------------
Hi Dan

I've taken a further look at the RA1794 manual and see now that it does
confirm a fine tune pot being available when using the 9420.
Having opened up this oscillator I find there are  connections to every pin
on the B7G connector so will assume until proven  otherwise that it does
meet the interface spec shown in the 1794 manual.
I suspect the comments I've seen claiming most do not have the EFC  option
is more a case that in many installations it isn't used, which  isn't quite
the same thing.

Thanks again for your comments.

regards

Nigel