[time-nuts] Another question about PHASE and DMTD

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Aug 24 16:11:49 UTC 2011

Hi

To further simplify:

1) Get rid of the second mixer Fdut (it's a dupe of the first mixer Fdut)
2) Get rid of the second mixer, it's not really doing anything

You now have a single mixer system doing exactly the same thing your dual
mixer system was doing. The dual mixer setup *only* makes sense if you have
three fully independent oscillators.

What do you have?

It's the front end on a quadrate phase noise setup. Feed the (amplified)
audio out of the phase detector (mixer) into an audio spectrum analyzer. Do
a little calibration math. You are looking at phase noise.

What comes with all this?

1) DC offset in the mixer output that's temperature sensitive.
2) Output levels that are drive, load, and temperature sensitive

For phase noise, DC offsets don't matter. You calibrate out the level stuff
each time you do a reading. For long term stability, offsets and levels
matter very much. AC coupled measurements at zero crossings are insensitive
to this stuff.

Bob