[time-nuts] Question for any HP105 owners HP5370 Settings

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed Aug 31 09:28:07 UTC 2011

> John,
>
> I don't know if I am going to understand all this.
> I come from an analog world, a dinosaur, all this timing stuff as much fun
> as it is, can be awful intimidating.

It only gets weirder from here!

> I am thinking there is a 1 PPS source in the Z3801a   but for the moment I
> have one of these devices
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320751663786
>
> Do you think this will work?

It'll most likely be fine.  Set your counter to use its internal reference,
and use that divider (or the Z3801A 1PPS) to drive the START jack in +TI
mode.   Then feed the other 10 MHz OCXO to the STOP jack, and see how that
works.  Once that's working you can experiment with different
external-trigger sources, and go back to 10 MHz on both input jacks.

> Some day when you have some free time, perhaps we could have a phone
> call or
> SKYPE if you use that  and discuss 1 or 2 of these issues
> Thank you again

Sure, although I'm keeping very odd hours these days and it may be another
day or so before I get caught up.  If you'd like, send me your phone #
offlist and let me know when it's convenient to call.

-- john