[time-nuts] Using GPS 1PPS for accurate period measurement

Azelio Boriani azelio.boriani at screen.it
Fri Dec 2 09:20:46 UTC 2011

I agree: better using a cheap counter (using the GPSDO to sync it). However
to do a time interval measurement your sampling frequency must be stable
enough between the reference PPS and the PPS-under-measure. The trick is to
offset the PPS-under-mesure enough (say 100mS) to gether some stable
samples from your sampling clock. Moreover, to get the best from averaging,
I think that the sampling clock must not be synchronous with either the
reference or the PPS-under-measure.