[time-nuts] gravity controlled pendulumn clock?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 12 00:37:51 UTC 2011

On 12/11/11 4:04 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:

> GCPC -- gravity controlled pendulum clock (elevation)

intriguing.  From your parenthetical remark, I'm assuming you move the
whole assembly up and down to adjust the speed?

I was thinking about a huge mass that moves around?

let's see.. period is proportional to sqrt(1/g)

g is proportional to 1/r^2, so period is proportional to r.

Earth is roughly 7000 km radius, so moving it 1 meter higher or lower
changes the period by 1part in 7million... interesting.

Much more practical than my first though of mass.. 1 ton a meter way is
about 1.2E11 smaller than the effect of the Earth's mass