[time-nuts] gravity controlled pendulumn clock?

aartmolsen at comcast.net aartmolsen at comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 04:58:19 UTC 2011

Instead of a GPS disciplined one ton mass, Huygens used a second clock on his mantel. The very slight acceleration that each pendulum exerted on the mantel caused the other clock to displace slightly, so its escapement triggered either earlier or later, and finally the clocks became synchronized with their pendulums 180 degrees out of phase. I'm sure a large oscillating mass anywhere near your house -- i.e. wherever a seismograph would detect it -- would do the same thing, regardless of gravity.

Aart Olsen