[time-nuts] gravity controlled pendulumn clock?

Jim Palfreyman jim77742 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 20:59:13 UTC 2011

John,

No it isn't. Not even close to "the world around".

>From WP:

"One fluid ounce is 1⁄16 of a U.S. pint, 1⁄32 of a U.S. quart, and 1⁄128 of
a U.S. gallon. The fluid ounce derives its name originally from being the
volume of one ounce avoirdupois
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoirdupois>of water, but in the U.S. it
is defined as
1⁄128 of a U.S. gallon. Consequently, a fluid ounce of water weighs about
1.041 ounces avoirdupois.

The saying "a pint's a pound the world around" refers to 16 US fluid ounces
of water weighing approximately (about 4% more than) one pound avoirdupois.
An imperial pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter."

You also have troy and apothecary systems - all different. Urrghhh.

A cubic metre holds 1000 litres (exactly) and a 10x10x10 cm container holds
a litre (exactly). A litre of water weighs 1kg, A ml of water weight 1
gram. (Fantastic for cooking btw - use digital scales, put your bowl on
them, zero it and add, say, 250g of milk/water/most liquids)

And if you want a laugh go youtube "American Chopper metric system" and
watch that short video. It is the final conclusive proof why metric is
superior.

Jim