[time-nuts] "The GPS navigation is the weakest point,"

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 16 00:58:33 UTC 2011

On 12/15/11 3:41 PM, Joe Leikhim wrote:
> Arriving this week, IEEE Magazine this months issue has an article about
> pilot-less commercial airliners, comparing the UAV drone technology as
> being readily available to fly paying passengers from here to there.
> Coincidentally the table of contents page depicts a drone which appears
> to be this very same "Beast of Kandahar" taking off! I look forward to
> the future letters column. I for one would not trust a pilot-less plane
> to transport me knowing that a terrorist need only to jam or spoof the
> GPS constellation, and bring down hundreds of planes.

Oddly enough, most airplanes do NOT use GPS as their primary navigation
system.  VOR/DME (or TACAN) is one.  Inertial Nav is another.  One of
the big deals about the 747, in fact, was that it carried a high
performance Inertial Nav unit allowing it to do long distance overwater
flights and wind up close enough to not miss the destination airport.
(Look up North Atlantic Minimum Navigational Performance Standards in
the FARs).  This was also one of the uses of the late lamented OMEGA system.

In fact one of the reasons for WAAS is that it provides signals to warn
aircraft that the GPS signals are invalid.

Sure, GPS makes it easy to do things like JDAM strapons for bombs, but
folks have been flying cruise missiles (which are basically UAVs with a
warhead) with IMU and terrain comparison for decades.

Which isn't a whole lot different than a human flying a small plane by
dead reckoning and pilotage.

For what it's worth, the real issue with UAVs is that they aren't very
mechanically reliable.  The crash rate is on the order of 1 per 500
flight hours. (compare to a F16 at around 1 per 50,000 hrs, commercial
airliners are hugely more reliable.. 1 flight with at least one fatality
per 5 million flights ) Fine in a battle zone or out over deserted
areas, not so practical carrying passengers or doing surveillance over a
city.  If you flew a single UAV 24/7 you'd have a crash about once every
3 weeks.

The hard part is NOT the navigation or communication or flight controls.
It's keeping the engine running.

Heck, the proposed