[time-nuts] My Racal-Dana 1992

iovane at inwind.it iovane at inwind.it
Mon Dec 19 21:26:17 UTC 2011

Well, the 1992, at least mine, is sensitive to rapid changes of the ambient
temperature, while ignores quite well the slow changes such as those due to the
cycling of the heating system of the house (which is well evident in the
recorded temperature of the LPRO heatsink).
And I see that the passage from standby to operation might be assimilated to a
rapid change of ambient temperature.
I attach an explanatory graph from the same dataset which produced my
yesterday's curve (which was a bit smoothed). This is a one-day un-smoothed
curve (the 3td day).
There is no trace of the house heating system, but there are some short peaks
and dips of 2 or 3 counts (10 sec gate)  which were a mystery until I did
specific tests that day. The variations in readings were due to the fan of my
tower PC !!
The PC was located under the workbench, and the counter on top of the PC. The
LPRO and its power supply instead were on the workbench. Turning the PC on
caused a drop of some 3 counts, and the counter takes a few minutes to settle
down to the right count while the PC is running. Turning the PC off caused a
raise of some 2 counts, and the counter again takes some minutes to recover the
right reading.
The attached graph shows the sequence of the specific test, which is in the
middle of the figure (peaks = PC has been turned on, dips = PC has been turned
off). Beyond the central test sequence, you could also notice that that day I
turned off the PC at about 01:04, and on at about 21:20.

To Ed:  the behavior of your counter looks normal.

Antonio I8IOV