[time-nuts] Efratom FRK - no 10Mhz oscillator

Peter Bell bell.peter at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 11:28:22 UTC 2011

Yeah, that was why I suggested just sticking a random 10MHz xtal
across the pins on the board (with the existing xtal wiring
disconnected) - if the rest of the circuit is good, then the
oscillator should start up with no problems - if it doesn't, then
suspect a fault somewhere else.  I just pulled out the manual, and I
would start by lifting the connection on E7, and connecting a 10MHz
xtal in series with a 10pF cap between the E7 pin and ground.  This
will bypass both the xtal and the frequency adjustment circuit.  If
that doesn't work, then the oscillator circuit is the problem - if it
does work, then remove the 10 pF cap and connect the xtal directly
between E7 and E8 - if it still works, it's almost certainly a bad
xtal.  If it worked with the 10 pF cap but not with the E8 connection,
then check the control voltage (E9: 0.5V-17V) - if that looks good,
then suspect the frequency control circuit.  If it's bad, then try
hooking it to +5V to verify the oscillator and then troubleshoot the
servo board.

Regards,

Pete