[time-nuts] ancient OCXO info on HP 05110-6043 needed

ed breya eb at telight.com
Mon Dec 26 20:19:02 UTC 2011

While looking for something in my OCXO department I ran across this
old piece from the 1960s. I had saved it from an HP5110 synthesizer
carcass years ago, but only the crystal oven unit remained - no
oscillator or control circuits.

Just thought I'd ask here if anyone has info or a source of a 5110
manual that may have enough info to see what the rest of the
circuitry was, and if it's worth fixing or reusing. The part is HP
05110-6043. I don't recall ever seeing anything about this oldie anywhere.

It's a cylindrical type, about 2.25" OD, and 5" long, with four
teflon feedthroughs on the side for the crystal circuit connections.
Also out the side runs a light gauge ribbon cable with six lines
black, green, orange, blue, gray, and red, presumably for the heater
circuitry.  On the side near the far end is a small plug cap,
presumably covering a temperature adjustment pot or thermostat. The
crystal itself is huge, mounted inside a vacuum tube envelope.
Judging by the size of the crystal and the big mica caps with it, I'd
guess it's 1 MHz.

Ed