[time-nuts] Thunderbolt? (re simple gpsdo.)

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 06:54:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Stanley <timenuts at n4iqt.com> wrote:

>>> "What is the simplest design for a GPSDO that uses only the PPS signal
>>> from
>>> a modern GPS?"
>>

>> Some sort of oscillator with a voltage control.
>> CPU with a timer/counter that can capture the PPS.
>> DAC.
>> Software.
>>

> How about MSC1200 : http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/msc1200y3.pdf

I don't count anything with a computer and software inside as
"simple".   My definition of a simple device is a capacitor or a
transistor or I guess a single flip-flop or op-amp.   A simple
controller would some how use about two dozen or less of these kinds
of components.

Home heating thermostats can be simple of complex.  Some use LCD
displays and a computer.  Other have a simple bimetallic spring
inside.

If this CAN'T be done.  And if a computer is really required.  I'm
going to go all out and use a "real" computer.  Something that can run
an operating system and talk on the network.  Here is an example of
what I mean
http://www.embeddedarm.com/products/board-detail.php?tab=options&product=TS-7550#

No one really wants a device that connects to a computer over a serial
port.  That was 20 years ago.   The above board can host a web site
and log data to a USB thumb drive and burns less then 2W of power

But for now I'm looking for a controller that is much more like the
bimetallic spring thermostat.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California