[time-nuts] From GPS World - Lightsquared has been given thegoahead

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Thu Feb 3 22:34:13 UTC 2011

At 05:04 PM 2/3/2011, Bob Camp wrote...
>I would by no means argue with any of those points. The only thing I
>would
>add is that 40,000 transmitters is a *lot* of hardware to fill in
>gaps.

Which is precisely why that characterization is wrong. "ground stations
are 'fill in' for heavy use areas" makes no sense - a satellite doesn't
care about whether there are 1000 users in NYC or 1000 users spread
across the whole NE seaboard. It is the satellite which fills the gaps
between ground stations.

The preferred comm link will be through the local terrestrial station,
because with 40,000 of them, you have possibly 80,000 times the
available bandwidth of the satellite (satellite has to talk both ways
over RF), in addition to having lower latency and operating cost.