[time-nuts] From GPS World - Lightsquared has been given thegoahead

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Fri Feb 4 06:33:11 UTC 2011

No head-ripping, Bill, simply that the FCC makes by fiat decisions that
belong in the marketplace. As long as it's easier for business to
cultivate a mandate instead of competing, I'll continue to dislike the FCC
behavior.
Part of the blame actually devolves from a great mistake by Reagan, the
Federal Register, q.v.
Cynical Don

William H. Fite
> Mike, I think you are quite correct.  I wanted to make this observation
> earlier but feelings are clearly running so high on this list that I
> feared
> having my head ripped off by individuals of strong conviction.
>
> In my view, it is inconceivable that Lightsquared would be allowed to take
> out GPS service for any significant fraction of the population.  There are
> just too many Nuvis and TomToms and Magellans in use for that to happen,
> not
> to mention contractors, road-and-bridge builders, surveyor, etc., etc.,
> etc.
>
>   I think this, frankly, is a tempest in a teapot.
>
> If I may dare to mention another point, it seems to be the firm conviction
> here that FCC should be exclusively devoted to technical matters that are
> invariably subject to the Monday morning quarterbacking of every
> electrical
> engineer in the United States.  Speaking as someone who worked closely
> with
> FCC for a number of years, I can assure you that this is not the case.
> Technical issues are only one part of the FCC mission, however
> dissatisfying
> that state of affairs may be to the  technically oriented set.  FCC is
> also
> mandated to consider the economic welfare of the telecommunications
> industry
> and the good of all Americans who rely on telecommunications.  And, of
> course, it is a political organization--though I would argue that that
> aspect of its operation is overstated.
>
> If you gentlemen think that FCC arouses the ire of time nuts and others of
> our ilk, you have no idea how it arouses the ire of those on the
> commercial/business side of the table.  For every one angry engineer
> ranting
> about the pols and nitwits who mismanage FCC, there are ten or twenty
> business people ranting about
> those-goddamned-hams-and-their-effing-little-toy-radios.
>
> FCC is an easy target for anyone on any side of any telecommunications
> issue
> who wants to take a shot.
>
> Fire away.
>
> Bill
>

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Mike S <mikes at flatsurface.com> wrote:
>
>> At 05:54 PM 2/3/2011, gary wrote...
>>
>>  It only take a little radio knowledge to realize how stupid much of
>> what
>>> the FCC approves. The FCC raison d'etre is to prevent interference.
>>>

>> I don't see any reason for people to get all excited. GPS is
>> fundamentally
>> a military system, and has very significant visibility, being used by
>> _many_
>> more people than will use the Lightsquared system - civilian, commercial
>> and
>> governmental in addition to military. If, upon initial deployment, real
> [...]

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument are
as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road