[time-nuts] Frequency multiplication

Tijd Dingen tijddingen at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 06:20:43 UTC 2011

> > You don't feed the ADC from the FPGA if you can avoid it.

> especially if your ADC clock is a different frequency from the processor
> clock that's being used for most of the other logic on the FPGA.  I'd
> give a ballpark estimate of 20-30 dB isolation between the two on a
> Virtex 2.

I read and reread that part...

Hopefully you mean this along the lines of: should you decide to feed two
different clocks into the Virtex-2, and use the dedicated global clocks, then
you guess the isolation between those 2 global clock lines to be on the order of
about 20-30 dB. So basically...

Do NOT:
- feed crappy clock A into fpga
- feed precision clock B into fpga, let it go through the PLL, and route the
resulting clock C outside the fpga again.
- use clock C as clock source for your precision DAC.

Do however:
- feed crappy clock A into fpga
- feed precision clock B into fpga, let it go through the PLL, and only use it
internally.
- use clock B as clock source  for your precision DAC.

... if not I am probably missing something.

Apart from that, with the push for higher and higher bitrates, even the onboard
PLL's are now becoming "reasonable" for the less demanding applications. However
I suspect that for the more demanding applications an external pll will still
remain the way to go for some time. For my DIY counter project I use a
spartan-6, which has a decent enough serdes (and the PLL that goes with that),
but I won't let the fpga generate the higher clock rate. I'd rather do that with
an external PLL. Maybe when the new 28 nm fpga's from xilinx/altera have good
availability in a year or two... Then again, ADI & co won't sit still for those
two years, so who knows. ;)

regards,
Fred