[time-nuts] HP 5370A temp

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Mon Feb 7 21:51:04 UTC 2011

My 5370a's both run hot as heck. I used some cheap small c-clamps and some
old heatsinks to increase the area of the hp heatsinks. You can also run
an old fan if you have one. I've found that the whole era of Hp equipment
runs too darn hot. 3325a, 8656a, etc. etc.
Don

gonzo .

> Hi all,
> I just picked up an irresistibly cheap 5370A (so cheap I didn't ask if it
> worked).
> So far it checks out ok, but I have some questions for those of you more
> familiar with this model.
>
> 1) The back panel heatsink (4x TO3) is sitting on 76°C  (168°F).
> - is this normal?
>
> 2) Several resistors and diodes on the A6 Power Supply Controller show
> sign of excessive heat (specifically: CR1, R1 & R23).
> All the A6 voltage rails are within 0.2V.
> - Is this a normal sign of age or should I be looking for something that's
> NQR?
>
> Judging by the stickers, it's probably spent it's entire life with the
> side panels on the wrong sides.This may help explain the overheated
> components.
>
> cheers,
> ian

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument are
as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road