[time-nuts] From GPS World - Lightsquared ...

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 10 05:16:54 UTC 2011

On 2/9/11 5:41 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz
> <charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com>  wrote:
>>  From a news release issued by the FCC today:
>>
>> "The FCC Enforcement Bureau today announced new efforts to clamp down on the
>> marketing, sale, and use of illegal cellphone and GPS jamming devices."
>
> Why would anyone jam GPS, other then because they want the bandwidth
> for their own service.   What is the market for gps jamers.  Seems
> silly you can't hide position or time

One market is for employees of companies that monitor their employee's
position vs time using GPS.  Truckers, security guards, etc.

"Gosh boss, the traffic was terrible, no I wasn't taking a nap"

ANother market is paranoid (not in a clinical sense) people who are
worried about being tracked by a hidden GPS tracker on their car (e.g.
your spouse has hired a PI to follow you around)