[time-nuts] FRSc RB lamp experiment

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 23:02:12 UTC 2011

Well indeed Magnus the black stuff and silver blob were rb.
300 degrees F for 15 minutes made it all go away.
I was using a j thermocouple to measure the temp and right at the bulb.
The trick seems to be for a FRS c to get the blob to the lowest point of the
capsule thats observable. I did this with the normal RB power system heated
to 177 degrees. Gently tapped a few times to get it concentrated.
Then powered off and let it cool.
Next step hung the assembly from a lamp so the heat gun could be pointed
straight up to boil the RB off at 300 degrees for 10 minutes and let it go
for 5 more for good luck.
The dark area on the capsule is significantly reduced and no trace of the
silver blob.
During the heating I could actually see the silver blob shrink.
The RB lamp lights well and looks good.
Now to try reassembling everything. That will be a job.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL