[time-nuts] SRS PRS10 problem

Brendan Minish ei6iz.brendan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 22:37:14 UTC 2011

Interestingly it was not your normal tin whisker (I have seen a few of
those, just..) it was a substantial one that had grown out from the
stack of 2 Ceramic caps in series with the coil to the RF choke in
series with the DC supply to the lamp housing.

It might even have been a solder blob left over from production but it
looked quite crystalline.
It's a bit ugly in the lamp assy because the heat and strong RF field
made a bit of a mess of insulation on the RFC and the heater leads but
everything else seems ok

I'll try and locate an MRF134 and see how I get on, certainly worth the
price and time by the sounds of it.

thanks for all the help and encouragement

On 16/02/2011 22:14, Pete Lancashire wrote:
> http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/
>
> I've fixed two cell phones for friends and I have a very nice MP3
> player I got for $1.
>
> Each was fixed with a stiff brush with a combination of compressed air
> (outside) and
> a vac inside.
>
> -pete
>
> PS if you do the air thing don't forget about static use a ionizer.
>

> On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Bob Camp<lists at rtty.us>  wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Real solder has lead in it to eliminate tin whiskers.
>>
>> We're going to see a lot of stuff die in the coming years from these little
>> critters.
>>
>> Bob

73
Brendan EI6IZ