[time-nuts] Rom Expansion for HP5370B

John Seamons jks at jks.com
Mon Feb 21 18:50:28 UTC 2011

On Feb 21, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <A9EDF64F-C7A2-4679-9F69-A9395B1A09BB at jks.com>, John Seamons writes:
>
>> It's bad enough to have to solder a single LQFP-100..
>
> Why even try ?  There are plenty of good eval boards from olimex.com
> (sparkfun.com in the USA)
>
> And yes, the HP5370B bus can probably be bitbanged just fine.
>
> Poul-Henning

For prototyping I agree.
I was thinking more about the difficulty of producing a low-cost, low-volume replacement board (assuming there are any takers)
By low-cost I'm thinking under $100 (hopefully this is also less than the original 5370 purchase price)

On Feb 21, 2011, at 10:40 AM, Javier Herrero wrote:

> That is true, the SAM7X... are very nice. ... The bad thing is that they have Ethernet but no phy, so an external phy must be used.
> In that respect, for an application using Ethernet I would use a Luminary, that has both MAC & PHY on-chip and only needs the magnetic ...
> Regards,
>
> Javier

I didn't know the Luminary parts had a phy. Nice.
Except for development boards ($100) the chips ($10) seem to be unobtainium at the moment. Although that will change.

John