[time-nuts] pts 160 power problem

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Fri Feb 25 18:29:09 UTC 2011

dave.mallery at gmail.com writes:

i tried  another more robust 5v supply, but that goes to 4.5v and ng output.

i  removed each of the plug-in decades, one at a time, looking for the
guilty
one.  no joy.  i also removed the left rear module (uses  5v).  the other
two
modules only use 12v. which is fine.

has  anyone been here before?  could it be a problem in the backplane (a
work
of art, btw)?

---------------
Hi Dave

I've used quite a few of these and have never yet experienced an  actual
component failure, obviously not saying it can't happen just that  once sorted
yours should remain pretty reliable.

As John already suggested I'd also look for possible fautly tantalums or
other capacitors across the supply but would also suggest removing all the
modules from the motherboard at the same time before proceeding any furter
and checking if the symptoms still persist.
I know what you've done has probably eliminated the modules but it  would
be a shame to tear into the backplane if you just happened to have more  than
one faulty module.

I did once receive a previously working PTS160 by post that refused to play
 and eventually located a very small solder blob, presumably  from inside
the associated module, that had dropped into an edge  connector and wedged
between a couple of pins, that was fun:-)

If you haven't already found it there's a manual for the PT160 on Didier's

_http://www.ko4bb.com/cgi-bin/manuals.pl?dir=05%29_GPS_Timing/PTS_
(http://www.ko4bb.com/cgi-bin/manuals.pl?dir=05)_GPS_Timing/PTS)

regards

Nigel