[time-nuts] Problems with Garmin - maybe we should cut them alittle slack

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 1 00:57:52 UTC 2011

gonzo-
"A GPS is a precision device.
 A Navigator is a consumer device.
 To confuse the two is to fail to understand either."

A navigator IS a GPS. Surveying GPSs may use carrier phase tracking or
whatever to get about 2mm accuracy. Just because it is optimized for navigation
instead

of location accuracy and gets about 3m accuracy doesn't mean that a navigator
isn't a GPS.

 Note that map accuracy has nothing to do with GPS receiver accuracy. Also
some mapping data has built in errors or incorrect POIs to identify the data in
case it is copied. For instance, one company's street mapping software I owned
had, in the small town I live in, a POI that said: "***** Institute Of
Technology"

even though there has never been a school there and it was a actually closed gas

station.

                          -Arthur