[time-nuts] Problems with Garmin - maybe we should cut them alittle slack

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Sat Jan 1 11:43:57 UTC 2011

Dick wrote:

>Most of the destinations I program in, by address, work well.
>Most of the time, I get led right to the door. So why can't
>it figure out where I live ??

As others have pointed out, roads have generally been surveyed pretty
accurately but houses have not, except in heavily populated
areas.  Business districts tend to be more densely built up than
residential areas, so they are more likely to have been surveyed accurately.

I have lived in close-in suburbs of major metro areas ever since GPS
receivers became everyday consumer items, and addresses near me have
always been spot on.  But get out into rural areas, and they may or
may not be.  The amount of work necessary to survey every address on
every road in a country the size of the US is simply too great to be
commercially worthwhile -- and that is before you consider the fact
that the addresses many locals know are not the "official" addresses
assigned by the county/town/village.  My grandparents lived and died
never knowing that their house was on "60th St. West" in their small
town (where the longest street was about 10 blocks).

>Just sloppy work, pure and simple.

Not sloppy, just not completely done because it's not commercially
worthwhile.  Anyone who disagrees is free to do the survey himself
and market better, more accurate GPS navigation devices.

Best regards,

Charles