[time-nuts] My Garmin 18x, Ver 3.50, currently 1 second slow to UTC

Kevin Rosenberg kevin at rosenberg.net
Wed Jan 5 16:05:13 UTC 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 4:08 AM, Kiwi Geoff wrote:
> I have "reverted" quite a number of times now Kevin - trying to
> understand why the 18x can be 1 second slow. I have never had an issue
> putting in an older version into the 18x, the updater software does
> know what your doing, it says:

Hi Geoff (of Kiwiland),

Thanks for the information and testing. Having had my 3.50 18x and
NTP report that NMEA time is -1.00 seconds compared to PPS time,
I'll give 3.20 a whirl.

I've certainly bricked my share of devices by attempting to
"reverse the timeline" of firmware images. Manufacturer's have
cavalierly deemed  such attempts to install an older firmware image
as being "unsupported". I tend to think of it more of as programmers,
for reasons as diverse as lack of time, talent, technology, or
imagination, who create insufficiently robust installers.

It's very nice of you to actually test going from 3.50 to 3.20 for
the rest of us.

Kevin (of New Mexicoland)