[time-nuts] Oscillator Packaging

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Jan 8 03:09:31 UTC 2011

On 1/7/2011 5:22 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
> Has anyone experimented with the amount of insulation on a
> 10544 or 10811 oscillator? They are meant to run hot by
> design and I worry that adding any insulation, or too much
> insulation, will either cause over-heating or limit the ability
> of the oven control to maintain the set point.
>
> None of the hp/Agilent bench test equipment that uses these
> oscillators uses insulation. Perhaps that's a clue.
>
> /tvb

The amount of insulation that can be used is limited by the
thermal overhead inside the oven, and is a function of the
oven set point and maximum ambient temperature.  High thermal
gain is achieved by controlling gradients, as explained in
my 1997 IEEE FCS paper on ovens.  Also read the HP Journal
article on the 10811.

Rick Karlquist N6RK