[time-nuts] R&S XSRM Rubidium

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 11 19:29:34 UTC 2011

Paul,

On 11/01/11 19:57, paul swed wrote:
> Crazier question could it be baked in an oven or must you be able to
> carefully visually watch it?

I guess you could do that if you only can oriented it there. However, I
just wanted to play a bit safe and not overheat it... and then I did
warm it up quite a bit anyway. Contaminating my lab with rubidium and
glas splitter seems easier to handle than the oven and kitchen... but I
don't think it is much of a danger anyway...

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM, paul swed<paulswedb at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Magnus
>> Crazy question. Though the small rb references are difficult to disassemble
>> they can be. I believe I have seen what you describe. Might this technique
>> be used on those also. I have a flaky end of life old telco reference that I
>> would open up to try it on. Though no heat gun.

Well, a heat gun isn't a huge investment but it came in handy for this.
If you seem the same thing, then try it and see if you get it operating
again. I did actually learn this trick from a description for a smaller
rubidium than I tried it on.

>> Does the RB really become exhausted or does it plate to the glass like you
>> describe?

Well, it did not escape from the glas ampule, so it is still safe there.
Rubidium by itself doesn't need to be a lot in there to work, but Xeon
might escape. However, temperature and trimming of the RF source should
be checked first... before giving up on the lamp.

>> Thanks for the thread.

Well, I tough that someone would get inspired. Seems to have triggered
two so far.

Cheers,
Magnus