[time-nuts] 10 MHz Oscillator comparison part II

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Jan 12 18:24:06 UTC 2011

Hi

If you have a random frequency like 7.352 MHz that neither divides or
multiplies to 10 MHz harmonic or sub harmonic, you can indeed mix the signal
to 10 MHz.

If you do so, you will need to filter the outputs, since the mixing spurs
will mess up the input to the multiplier.

If the generator you use for the mixing has more noise or jitter than the
sources, that noise is likely to de-correlate unless the chains are
absolutely identical. Since they multiply to two different frequencies, they
really can't be identical. Net result is your measurement is messed up by
the noise of the generator.

Once you add multiple mixers and filters in, along with a very low noise
generator, the error multiplier doesn't make a lot of sense. Much easier to
take the same generator and just mix down to an audio beat note. Feed that
into the counter and go from there. 10 MHz to 10 Hz gives you a 1x10^6
multiplication by mixing down.

Bob