[time-nuts] CS reservoir depletion

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 13 22:24:08 UTC 2011

On 13/01/11 22:55, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> Magnus Danielson wrote:
>> experimentation and learning. The HP/Symmetricom efforts spans from the
>> 60thies. Many steps of improvement, of which only some is found in
>> papers and patents. But they have left such traces too. There are many
>> practical solutions which can be learned from the archives.
>
> HP once held an internal seminar several days long that covered
> only the aspects of the CBT that were not public.  So realize that what
> you know is the tip of the iceberg.

Oh yes. I *expect* that there is a lot of things to know that I don't know.

I expect that there is a gazillion things to know to get decent shape
beam going. Aiming for a "getting it to lock up" level is what a very
handy hobbyist may aim for and maybe attain after a lot of work. There
will be loads and loads of systematic effects, biases etc.

So no, I do not think even the entry level is simple... I'm not that
naive...

It took several decades of development for a large set of talented guys
to come to the HP5071A design. Much of the knowledge is certainly skills
of the art which isn't shared lightly... and isn't learned lightly either...

So I am fully aware that I see only a little of the iceberg.

Just reading up on the publically available information from the number
of design efforts made in various places should be humbling for anyone
doing the exercise. You may learn a lot without being able to design a
high performance system.

Cheers,
Magnus