[time-nuts] CS reservoir depletion

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Jan 14 17:55:52 UTC 2011

Hi

There is a lot of data that says crystals "relax" while off power. The older
they are (the older the process) the more likely they are to do so. The net
effect is that they will move much faster on a per day basis than you would
expect them to. They will eventually calm down, but it can take months.
Things like mounting stress (TCE miss match), and thermally introduced
changes in junk equilibrium are the two most commonly claimed sources.

One example is the GR standard I have in the basement. It's now down to a
sub 1.0x10^-11 per day sort of aging rate. When I fired it up, it was moving
more than 1.0x10^-8 per day.

As with any rule like this, there will indeed be parts that break the rule.

Bob