[time-nuts] Achievable temperature stability for Thunderbolt

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 19:44:12 UTC 2011

As long as the Tbolt's Osc is being disciplined, I have found:

Most Tbolt's with factory default settings (i.e TC = 100) will show minimum
effects with standard room temperature changes. No special protection
needed.
A unit that is tuned a bit better (in a box and TC of 300 to 500), then
temperature changes of less than 1 deg / hr will be OK.
A better optimized setup with TC settings in the 500 to 1000 sec range, a
max temperature rate of change  of up to 0.1 deg C per hr will have minimum
effect.
If you want to go all out time nuts, (with "Special" TC setting above 1000)
then best to hold the sensor temperature to within 0.02 deg total change,
which can be done using Lady Heather's Temperature controller.

How high you can go with the TC setting, depends on many things, such as how
stable the Tbolt's Oscillator is. Each setup is different.
A TC setting of 1000 sec is generally the max you should go. With this
Tbolt, the best results can be obtained with a 'special' TC setting to 2000
to 3000.

Attached is the last 2 weeks of a Lady Heather plot, showing a temperature
tracking test I did to see how long it takes a Tbolt to learn a new
environment.
This unit has a Poor antenna, 1 sec ADEV of 1e-12, Aging of 4 e-12 / day,
Temp coeff  of 2.5e-10 / deg.

Have fun
ws

[time-nuts] Achievable temperature stability for Thunderbolt environment?
Achim Vollhardt avollhar at physik.uzh.ch
Sat Jan 15 16:36:56 UTC 2011