[time-nuts] GC-1000 Clock Cap Choice

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 16 23:46:16 UTC 2011

If you've ever worked on more than a very few Tektronix TM-500 series modules,  you are well aware of the favorite epoxy dipped tantalum capacitor failure mode...  very low resistance dead short...  usually ending up in a charred stinky black blob.  Whatever manufacturer they chose... was the wrong one.

There are wet-slug tantalum caps out there.  Usually hermetically sealed military grade units.

For the clock,  I'd use whatever cap came to hand.  I would not go out of my way to find some swoopty-do new fangled replacement.  It's a Heathkit,  not a space qualified doomaflotchy.