[time-nuts] Symmetricom CSAC is Cs acting like a Rb unit

WB6BNQ wb6bnq at cox.net
Wed Jan 19 01:31:17 UTC 2011

   Hi Tom,

   Well, the phase noise is not as good as other Rb sources that can be
   had for around $100 that are not much bigger in size.  For example the
   FE-5650A or even the FE5680A Rb's.

   Would it be useful ?  That depends upon your operating requirements.
   For wide band FM at 10 GHz it would be ok, but for narrow SSB I would
   think it is lacking.  Perhaps John Miles, KE5FX, who has experience
   with that sort of stuff will chime in.

   This CSAC device will shine in those areas where power and size really
   matter.  If you read the supporting literature, a lot of
   computerization in the form of algorithms were required to tame the
   beast.  All of that will improve over time.  So this first to market
   item is interesting but let the big boys pay for it and down the road
   we mere commoners will reap the benefits.

   Bill....WB6BNQ

   Tom Holmes wrote:

     OK, so aside from the price of this toy, are there any performance
     reasons
     why this itty bitty gizmo wouldn't be quite useful to my ham friends
     who do
     portable/mobile microwave operation, as opposed to dragging along a
     GPSDO or
     OCXO? Think in terms of frequency error at 10 GHz, 24 GHz or even
     higher.

     Tom Holmes, N8ZM
     Tipp City, OH
     EM79

     [[1]mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
     > Behalf Of Bob Camp
     > Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:55 PM
     > To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
     > Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Symmetricom CSAC is Cs acting like a Rb
     unit

     > Hi
     >
     > In this case, it's an itty bitty gizmo that has some significant
     compromises in
     > performance compared to it's bigger cousins.
     >
     > Bob
     >

     > On Jan 18, 2011, at 5:47 PM, William H. Fite wrote:
     >
     > > Oh gosh, it would never, EVER do to find a li'l bitty product
     that
     performs
     > > as well as our big ole spare rooms full of costly, bulky, heavy,
     mostly
     > > antiquated equipment.  [?]
     > >

     > > On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:
     > >
     > >> Hi
     > >>
     > >> Simply having cesium in it does not make it a primary standard.
     Since
     it's
     > >> more like a rubidium than anything else, it's a lot easier to
     think of
     it
     > >> as
     > >> a "really small low power rubidium". One other advantage it may
     have is
     > >> that
     > >> the LED may have a longer life than a normal "light bulb"
     source. I
     suspect

     [[2]mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
     > >> Behalf Of WB6BNQ
     > >> Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:03 PM
     > >> To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
     > >> Subject: [time-nuts] Symmetricom CSAC is Cs acting like a Rb
     unit

     > >> To the list,
     > >>
     > >> If you listen carefully to the Symmetricom slide show,
     particularly
     page 3,
     > >> it will tell you all you need to
     > >> know:

     [3]http://www.brainshark.com/Steve_FatSymmetricom/vu?pi=691826191&dm
     =5&pau
     > se=1&

     appKey=77<[4]http://www.brainshark.com/Steve_FatSymmetricom/vu?pi=69
     1826191
     > &dm=5&pause=1&%0AappKey=77>
     > >>
     > >> You will discover that that it is indeed a Cesium operated
     device.
     HOWEVER
     > >> !  It is operated in the same manner
     > >> as a Rubidium device.  Doing such does NOT make it a primary
     standard.

     > >> In a Cesium Primary standard, a beam of Cesium atoms are
     energized to a
     > >> higher state whose decay give off a
     > >> photon of light such that being on frequecy produces more light
     to the
     > >> detector.  In the Rb system, the Rb cell
     > >> acts simply as a light filter such that when on frequency the
     light
     level
     > >> is
     > >> reduced as seen by the detector.
     > >>
     > >> This Symmetricom CSAC device uses the same process as the Rb
     method
     > above.
     > >> It uses a laser to push light through
     > >> a chamber of Cesium gas.  This Cesium gas is acting as a simple
     light
     > >> filter.  So in its current state it will
     > >> not rival it superior cousins except in size and power
     comsumption and
     > >> possibly price for performance in some
     > >> applications.
     > >>
     > >> Bill....WB6BNQ