[time-nuts] R&S XSRM Rubidium

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Jan 22 11:35:27 UTC 2011

On 01/22/2011 04:19 AM, paul swed wrote:
> Actually there is a paper by Arthur Molenkamp (Spelling wrong) thats quite
> detailed and he seems to have done the same thing I am. You do not need the
> heater to start the RB lamp.
> I have found 2 things this evening on the FRS-c.
>
> The oscillator is intermittent and I might guess its the variable tuning
> cap. Boy is that going to be a pain to pull. But bias voltages and xsistor
> behavior look good.
>
> Other item
> Indeed there is a silver dot about 1-2mm in the Rb lamp capsule. I might
> guess this is Magnus's RB that he reheated. I need to peel the glass/mica
> cover off and believe the ampule is released from its holder by breaking the
> epoxy that holds it.  Really dislike that idea.
>
> Magnus might the mica cover be removed and the capsule heated in place? The
> surrounding area seems to be teflon.

Mine was sitting in a metal holder with some white soft material in
between that I didn't identify. Since it needs to handle the temperature
of 108 degrees over long time I figured that it would survive my
operation so I never bothered to pull the glass ampoule out of that grip
since it was not coming loose easily. I haven't been inside a FRS-C so I
don't know it looks. Recall that it is not very high temperatures which
is needed.

Cheers,
Magnus