[time-nuts] Silicon Labs series of oscillators...

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 22 14:35:42 UTC 2011

>     I guess this sad saga boils down to my question for the
>     Time-Nutters List: How do you deal with breadboarding
>     when it comes to parts that are ONLY available in
>     surface-mount configuration (and are just at the size
>     limit for hand soldering?

you lay out little adapter boards and get them made at one of the pcb
houses (like expresspcb, etc.) .. a simple board with just the surface
mount pads short traces to something bigger, or to a through hole into
which you solder a wire. Then there's the art/craft of assembling
surface mount (tiny syringe of solder paste, place part, carefully heat,
etc.)

A bit tedious the first couple times, then you will wonder why you ever
deadbugged in the past.