[time-nuts] Update on prescaler board for HP 53131A-like counters

Samuel DEMEULEMEESTER sam at canardpc.com
Mon Jan 24 02:05:12 UTC 2011

> What if both inputs are terminated into a load (e.g. 50 ohms) rather than
a short?

I tried to terminate the inputs with 50 ohm between the pin and the DC block
cap (and even 1 Kohm).  auto-oscillations are gone, but the loss of
sensibility is catastrophic. From -30 dB at 2 GHz, it drops down to +5 dB.
Tried with and without amp input stage.

> When you say the eval board also oscillates, is that with the VCO removed
from the circuit, or what?

I removed C18, so VCO was disconnected. The "best practice" for this chip
seems to decouple the RFINB input from ground with a 100 pF cap and use a DC
block cap on RFINA directly to the pin. In that configuration, the ADF4107
oscillate.