[time-nuts] Mass vs BTU Function

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 23:00:35 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Perry Sandeen <sandeenpa at yahoo.com> wrote:
> List,
>
> Please help me with this physics question.
>
> If one has a given cube, say 2 x 2 x 2 inches.  And one has the choice of aluminum, copper, or lead (just for an example).  Will each store or hold the same amount of BTUs or does the density make a difference?

I think it's specif heat * mass.  So it you are limited by the size of
a 2" cube then even if one material has worse specific, if it had more
density then more mass would fit in the same 2" cube.        If you
were weight limited then only specific heat matters.  But in your case
I think, from memory silver is good then copper

I think you get different answers if the project is volume limited
then if it is weight limited or cost limited.   Certainly cost would
have you with copper over silver

If you just ask "what's best?" with no limits on volume, weight or
cost I bet you end up using an exotic liquid.

I worked on a project once where we just used a water tank.
--
=====
Chris Albertson