[time-nuts] Mass vs BTU Function

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 28 00:53:29 UTC 2011

On 1/27/11 3:20 PM, Hal Murray wrote:

> jimlux at earthlink.net said:
>> Most metals have a specific heat around .34, where water is 1.0. ( so .34
>> BTU to raise a pound od aluminum by 1 deg F)
>
> Where did you get that?

probably misremembering.. Standing in an airport terminal trying to
figure out whether to wait for my perpetually delayed flight, or give up
and find a hotel...
Forgive me...

There's something for heat capacity that is 0.34, though.. maybe gases?

I did do some googling and found this interesting statement in Wikipedia
Another way of stating this, is that the volume-specific heat capacity
(volumetric heat capacity) of solid elements is roughly a constant. The
molar volume of solid elements is very roughly constant, and (even more
reliably) so also is the molar heat capacity for most solid substances.
These two factors determine the volumetric heat capacity, which as a
bulk property may be striking in consistency.For example, the element
uranium is a metal which has a density almost 36 times that of the metal
lithium, but uranium's specific heat capacity on a volumetric basis
(i.e. per given volume of metal) is only 18% larger than lithium's.