[time-nuts] 10MHz to 80MHz frequency multiplier suggestions

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jan 31 19:22:08 UTC 2011

Before one can conclude such a solution is adequate one needs to know
the ADC requirements for clock jitter.
If the ADC is a high resolution pipelined ADC like those available from
AD and LTC then such a solution will degrade the performance significantly.
These ADCs require clock cycle to cycle jitter of a few tens of femtosec
or less to realise the datasheet performance.
The intrinsic jitter of an ACMOS gate is too high by a factor of 20 or more.

A low noise bandpass filtered high frequency crystal oscillator is the
usual solution.

The close in phase noise requirements will dictate the PLL component
choices if the 80MHz clock is to be locked to a 10MHz GPSDO.
The close in phase noise of the GPSDO may also be an issue.

Bruce