[time-nuts] Defective Z3801 and strange PS board

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 14:38:12 UTC 2011

Marco like you I had lost one of the dc dc converters. As I recall the 48 >
5V. I simply replaced it with another I had and the 3801 has been working
for years. The board is a complicated board and I have not seen schematics
for it. Though it would be quite reasonable to develop them.
There is a small linear regulator as I recall also.

Why such a complicated arrangement is a good question. Though the first
inverter is a very wide range 36v-60 V as I recall. Maybe the others could
not handle it.
But I do agree by todays standards the thing is a power pig and I am to lazy
to change it. As they say if its working leave it alone.

I did see a while ago that someone had replaced all of the supplies with a
more traditional 110 V ac type multi-output supply. Thats should have
improved the efficiency at a loss of the ability to run off of battery. I do
not run on battery. So no real loss.
But I will bet someone will answer you on this thread with far more detail.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL