[time-nuts] Primary Time Standards

Will Matney xformer at citynet.net
Thu Jul 14 02:38:08 UTC 2011

Jim,

It is my understanding that the government standard offices around the
globe, like NIST, calculates time by the earths rotation, I guess you could
say, the old way, or using astronomy, but with this, they use things like
the decay factors of atomic materials to keep this time. If I recall,
things had to be recallibrated after the earthquake at Japan, as it changed
the earths rotational speed a very minute amount. Its kind of like, which
came first, the chicken or the egg on the standards.

Best,

Will