[time-nuts] The future of UTC

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Jul 15 13:23:56 UTC 2011

In message <4E203B60.6080809 at erols.com>, Chuck Harris writes:

>Nice article.  One thing stands out to me, though:  How do you
>propose knowing 20 years in advance the schedule of leap seconds?

That is for the geophysical community to figure out.  They still
get to decide when leap seconds happen, only they have to tell
the rest of us 20 years in advance instead of 6 months in advance.

How well they can do this (ie: how small can they keep DUT1)
depends on the quality of their science (and/or coin-flips)

>I notice that this subject seems to make you a little grumpier than
>the Poul-Henning I am used to.  I hope I am not treading on ground
>you feel already is too well covered.

It is very well covered on the leapsecs list, so I sort of think
we should avoid rehashing all the same arguments and facts on
this list also.