[time-nuts] Follow-up on Z3801A high EFC reading

Graham / KE9H TIMENUT at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 16 20:50:13 UTC 2011

John:

If it was turned off for more than a year, in my experience, the HP10811
(or similar)
oscillators at the heart of the Z3801A will take about three weeks to
settle down,
and rejoin the previous mature aging curve.

I have built a few GPSDOs using HP10811 oscillators, that I bought off
of eBay,
and they all took three weeks to settle down.

You can ask the experts on the list why.  Something about temperature
related stress
relief and gas sublimation on the surface of the crystal.

--- Graham

==