[time-nuts] The future of UTC

Thomas A Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Tue Jul 19 11:27:19 UTC 2011

>> BLOCK: This may be kind of an urban legend, but I thought I had heard that one of the backers behind extending Daylight Saving Time into the beginning of November was the candy industry, and it all had to do with Halloween.
>>
>> Mr. DOWNING: This is no kind of legend. This is the truth. For 25 years, candy-makers have wanted to get trick-or-treat covered by Daylight Saving, figuring that if children have an extra hour of daylight, they'll collect more candy. In fact, they went so far during the 1985 hearings on Daylight Saving as to put candy pumpkins on the seat of every senator, hoping to win a little favor.

I would say it backfired.

At least here in Rhode Island, the extra daylight resulted in the compression of the trick or treating schedule, since all the little goblins and ghouls wanted to go out after dark (to better scare the homeowners and enjoy their glow in the dark costumes), but they also were expected home by 8pm (local).

Net result is less candy given out.

At least that has been my experience.

Proving you shouldn't tamper with time. Measure yes, tamper, no. :-)

Tom Frank, KA2CDK