[time-nuts] Discipline an oscillator with NTP?

bg at lysator.liu.se bg at lysator.liu.se
Sun Jul 24 00:22:42 UTC 2011

Hi Don,

ntpd is both server and client.

For a ublox with usb i did the following a few days ago.

     sudo ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/gps0

add this to the /etc/ntp.conf

     server 127.127.20.0 mode 81

and then

    /etc/init.d/ntp restart

This particular setup without 1pps gives a lousy time (some 150ms late
with 50ms jitter).

I apologize if I was not clear enough in my previous answer.

--

   Björn

> Hi Bjorn: Thanks very much for the sources! I was afraid I was not clear
> when I sent my question(s). I want to generate a network server rather
> than a client. I looked up man ntpd, and it seems at first glance to be
> a Linux/Unix client that will sync up a local computer. I want to
> generate a network server that ntpd or other clients can access. Perhaps
> I did not read closely enough, and if not, I apologize.
> Don
>
> bg at lysator.liu.se
>> Hi Don,
>>
>> 1PPS is useful. 10MHz is not direcly useful. You also need some kind of
>> timecode, telling ntpd which second the 1pps indicated.
>>
>> The software side is normally ntpd configured with one of its drivers
>> (called refclock) for the GPS protocol your receiver has. Again the most
>> used is probably refclock_NMEA.
>> (http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver20.html) look
>> if
>> there is anything else fitting your receivers.
>>
>>    http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/refclock.html
>>
>> Then wire a (preferably) serial cable with rx, tx and gnd in the usual
>> places, add your 1PPS on DCD (pin 1). Depending on your serial port you
>> could get away without levelshifting the 1pps to rs232-levels.
>>
>> Last but not least, for OS select your favorite unix derivative.
>>
>> --
>>
>>    Björn
>>
>>> Poul and others?
>>> As usual, I suddenly had a thought ripple across my otherwise placid
>>> cortex, and have forgotten if there was a previous answer on this
>>> thread. What does a NTP server look like on the network? There are now
>>> several small net appliances/eval boards available. I run a program
>>> called NMEAtime on my Windoze computers that currently get info from a
>>> net NTP server. I also have some simple net appliances. So, using my
>>> GPS
>>> 10 MHZ or 1 sec signals, or Rb 10 MHZ, how might I generate a local
>>> NTP