[time-nuts] Discipline an oscillator with NTP?

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sun Jul 24 00:38:40 UTC 2011

OK, Steve and Bjorn. I will have to get busy and see what I can do.
Thanks very much for your input.
Don

Steve Longcor
> ntpd is both a client (getting time info from other ntp servers) and a
> server (responding to requests from other clients on the network.)
> Access to the server part is controlled by firewall rules and "restrict"
> lines in the ntp.conf file (see example below).  An explanation of these
> can be found at
> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/AccessRestrictions
>
> Steve
>
> ----------
> # /etc/ntp.conf, configuration for ntpd; see ntp.conf(5) for help
>
> driftfile /var/lib/ntp/ntp.drift
>
> # Garmin 18xLVS GPS + PPS
> # mode 1    use $GPRMC sentence
> server 127.127.20.1 mode 1 minpoll 4 prefer
> # flag1 1    enable PPS signal processing
> # flag3 1    kernel discipline
> fudge 127.127.20.1 flag1 1 flag3 1
>
> # North-American Pool servers for backup/sanity check
> server 0.north-america.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.north-america.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.north-america.pool.ntp.org
>
> # Access control configuration; see
> /usr/share/doc/ntp-doc/html/accopt.html for
> # details.  The web page
> <http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/AccessRestrictions>
> # might also be helpful.
> #
> # Note that "restrict" applies to both servers and clients, so a
> configuration
> # that might be intended to block requests from certain clients could
> also end
> # up blocking replies from your own upstream servers.
>
> # By default, exchange time with everybody, but don't allow
> configuration.
> restrict -4 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
> restrict -6 default kod notrap nomodify nopeer noquery
>
> # Local users may interrogate the ntp server more closely.
> restrict 127.0.0.1
> restrict ::1
> ----------
>
> On 7/23/2011 4:53 PM, Scott Newell wrote:
>> At 06:45 PM 7/23/2011, Don Latham wrote:
>>> than a client. I looked up man ntpd, and it seems at first glance to
>>> be
>>> a Linux/Unix client that will sync up a local computer. I want to
>>> generate a network server that ntpd or other clients can access.
>>> Perhaps
>>
>> ntpd is the server.

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road