[time-nuts] Electronics Question

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 21:02:35 UTC 2011

No, you can't simply wire two logic outputs together.  One or the
other logic state is "stronger" (Yes I know poor analogy) and "wins".
The details are here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_logic_connection

But it is pretty easy to remove a chip especially if you don't care if
you damage it.  The classic method is to clip all the leads from the
IC toss out the chip then de-solder the leads one at a time.     When
chips cost 2 cents it's better to trash them than waste time with
complex rework methods.  (Different story for expensive parts.)

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Jason Rabel
<jason at extremeoverclocking.com> wrote:
> This is only pseudo time-nuts related...
>
> I'm wiring up (yet another) net4501 with a Motorola M12 GPS..
>
> This net4501 has the RS232 driver chip there for the 2nd serial port (previous units I purchased didn't, which made life easier for
> me).
>
> Can I solder my GPS tx/rx lines on the ttl side of the RS232 chip and will it work? Or will the rs232 chip hold the voltages
> low/high because there is no signal on the input sides?
>
> This is just kind of "for future reference" question. I half wasn't sure if it would work, and half didn't care to try and solder a
> wire to a TSOP lead. So I bought a Max3222 PDIP and can make a proper interface. The prototype board will also give me room for some
> extra LEDs. ;)
>
> This is kind of an experiment to see how a regular M12 compares to the M12+T for NTP purposes. I'll probably build a fresh NanoBSD
> image because I need to modify a line of code in NTPns to remove a TRAIM command that makes the regular M12 PPS stop. I also want to
> build the latest regular NTP distro.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California