[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz 8601 Rebuild Question

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Sat Jul 30 20:11:06 UTC 2011

I've tried simply buying thermos flasks of appropriate size. The ones
for soup have wide mouths and are glass. Cheap, too and you can improve
the tops and pull wires very easily. Foam insulation comes in aerosol
cans for plugging cracks around your windows etc.
Don
J. Forster
> I would avoid steel. It usually has higher thermal leakage than glass.
>
>> I'm rebuilding an Oscilloquartz 8601 oscillator that has a smashed
>> Dewar.  The 8601 is basically the same as an 8600, but with a
>> different
>> connector arrangement.
>>
>> Since I can't replace the original Dewar, I'm trying various vacuum
>> flasks to see which one works best.  The differences are related to
>> the
>> size (how much room for a foam plug) and material (glass vs. steel).
>> Am
>> I correct in thinking that 'best' means minimizing the current drain?
>
> Yes, but you maqy not want to cut the leakage too much below what was
> originally there. It could cause loop overshoot or instability.
>
>> I'm thinking that minimizing the current drain means minimizing heat
>> loss to the external environment and therefore most stable
>> performance.
>
> Only if the loop can handle it.
>
>> Or should I try to match the thermal characteristics of the original
>> flask and plug?  I could approximate this by adjusting the thermal
>> characteristics to obtain the same current drain as stated in the
>> specifications.
>
> That will give you a static match, not necessarily a dynamic match.
> Consider if you filled the Dewar with mercury.
>
>> Of course, if you go too far in reducing the current, the oven could
>> overheat.  The oscillator includes a precision thermistor to monitor
>> the
>> temperature of the oven to prevent this.
>>
>> Any comments?
>>
>> Ed
>
> Good luck.
>
> -John

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road